Lost / Stolen / Damaged BRP

How to replace a biometric residence permit (BRP) inside or outside the UK BRP-in-Delphine-D

If you have lost your BRP or it has been stolen or damaged, you must take the following steps:

A – Report the loss, theft, damage

1 – You must contact the police to report the loss, theft or damage and get a police case reference number / crime number/ FIR (proof of case registration).

You can do this at your local police station in the UK

Find your local police station in London

or you may be able to report this online

Reporting crime online

A crime reference number is an important document. You will need this to get a new BRP.

2 – You must then email the Home Office immediately using the relevant email address.

Report a lost or stolen BRP to:


Report a damaged BRP to:


When emailing the Home Office you should include:

  • your full name, date of birth and nationality
  • your contact details
  • your passport number
  • your BRP reference number
  • your police case reference number
  • when, where and how the loss or theft occurred
  • what the damage is (if damaged)

This information can also be sent by post to:

Returns Unit
PO Box 163
BS20 1AB

3 – You must then apply for a replacement BRP.

B – Replace your BRP if you are in the UK

You must apply for a replacement BRP within 3 months if it was lost, stolen or damaged while you were in the UK.

SANCTION FOR FAILURE TO REPLACE YOUR LOST, STOLEN OR DAMAGED BRP: You may be fined up to £1,000 and have your permission to stay removed if you don’t apply for a replacement in time.

To apply you will need to file an application using the BRP (RC) form.

This application cannot be made in person at the Premium Services Centres (PSC or previously referred to as PEO).

As part of your application you will be required to re-enrol your biometric information.

There is a fee of £40 for the application and an additional handling fee for the enrolment of the biometric information, which will be directly payable to the Post Office Ltd.

In support of your application you will be required to submit:

  • two recent identical passport-size photographs of yourself with full name written on the back – the photos must meet the UKVI’s strict requirements;
  • your original and current passport (should not be needed for a straight like-for-like replacement of a lost / stolen BRP when the initial BRP was issued than two years ago);
  • your police registration certificate, if applicable;
  • proof of identity confirming your name and address ( such as for instance ,your UK driving licence or a letter from your employer, etc.);
  • if you were granted ILR more than 2 years ago you will also need to provide evidence of continuous residency in the UK ( such as for instance you original P60s, letter from your GP, letter from your employer, etc.)
  • your original BRP unless it has been reported stolen or lost.

IF YOUR BRP HAS BEEN LOST OR STOLEN – in addition to the above you must also provide a police report for the theft or loss if one was issued – if you do not have a police report you will need to provide the police reference number for the reported theft or loss AND any Home Office letter(s) notifying you that you have permission to stay in the UK for a limited period.

Additional information can be found in the UKVI’s guidance on applying for a replacement BRP .

For the relevant form BRP(RC) is also available on the UKVI’s website.

C- Replace your BRP if you are outside the UK

If you have lost your BRP or it has been stolen whilst abroad, you will have to take the following steps:

  • report the loss or theft to the police and get a crime reference;
  • apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa via the British Embassy, British Consulate or British High Commission;
  • return to the UK;
  • apply for a new BRP following the steps referred to in section B above.


You cannot apply for a new BRP until you have returned to the UK. Instead, you will have to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which will allow you to travel back to the UK. The ‘replacement BRP visa’ can only be used once to re-enter the UK. A replacement BRP visa costs £72.

You must apply online for a replacement BRP visa in most countries.

Cuba and North Korea

You cannot apply online if you are applying from one of these countries.

Download the application form.

Read the instructions for:


You must apply for a replacement BRP within 1 month if you are returning to the UK on a ‘replacement BRP visa’. A replacement BRP costs £40 if you apply from inside the UK.

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY ENTRY CLEARANCE SERVICES LTD registered OISC practice F200700031 – www.entryclearanceservices.co.uk